Constructing Futures is a training program delivered in partnership with the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT). The program provides essential workplace skills and access to the labour market to unemployed immigrants who want to pursue careers in construction project management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Graduates of Constructing Futures benefit from:
- Business communication proficiency and understanding of the Canadian construction workplace culture, computers and social media strategies
- Awareness of the labour market trends and improved ability to conduct a successful job search
- Improved technical skills to effectively initiate, plan, execute, monitor, control and close out projects
- A Project Leadership Certificate from NAIT and 6 of 12 modules towards the Project Management Certificate
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK
This program is delivered twice yearly beginning in January and July to 18 eligible applicants. The program is full time, for 6 months in duration and includes:
- Eighteen weeks in-class at the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers developing English language workplace communication skills and computer skills
- 90 hours over four months in-class at NAIT completing modules in project management towards the Project Management Professional (PMP) designation
- Eight weeks in full-time work experience with an Edmonton employer in the construction industry where they will apply the skills learned in the classroom.
- One month of supported job search if required
WHO CAN ACCESS THESE SERVICES?
Candidates must fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- Graduate of a degree program from an international institution with significant study and experience in the project management field
- Unemployed or marginally employed
- Permanent resident or new Canadian Citizen; resident of Alberta
- Language proficiency of Canadian Language Benchmark 6 or higher in all areas: reading, writing, speaking and listening
- High motivation and commitment to completing the program
WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Constructing Futures is offered at:
- EMCN Nova Plaza - 8914 - 118 Avenue NW, 780 421 7400 with project management courses taken at NAIT, 11762 106 St NW
HOW TO ACCESS SERVICES
All interested applicants should attend an information session. The application deadline for January program is September 15th. The deadline for the July program is March 15.
This program is funded by the Province of Alberta in Partnership with the Government of Canada.